The North Baffin Planning Region is a roughly triangular area in the Arctic Archipelago, comprising about 1.5 million square kilometres. Most residents of the North Baffin region live in the five hamlets of Resolute, Grise Fiord, Arctic Bay, Pond Inlet and Clyde River.
The North Baffin Regional Land Use Plan was approved in June, 2000. It provides strategic direction for land and resource use in the North Baffin Planning Region.
The North Baffin Regional Land Use Plan deals with the major themes of:
- Renewable Resource Use
- Conservation Areas and Parks
- Marine and Terrestrial Transportation
- Mineral Exploration and Production
- Oil and Gas Exploration and Production
- Sovereignty and Defence
- Heritage Resources
- Cumulative Effects and Ecosystem Monitoring
- Clean up and monitoring of Waste Sites
All material associated with proposed and approved plan amendments is now available in the Public Registry.