Most residents of the region live in the seven hamlets of Arviat, Baker Lake, Chesterfield Inlet, Coral Harbour, Rankin Inlet, Naujaat, and Whale Cove.
The Keewatin Regional Land Use Plan was approved in June, 2000. It provides strategic direction for land and resource use in the Keewatin Planning Region.
The Keewatin Regional Land Use Plan deals with the major themes of:
- Community Use Areas and Local Authority
- Environmental Protection and Wildlife Conservation
- Mineral, Oil and Gas Exploration and Development
- Heritage Resources
- Transportation and Regional Infrastructure
- Scientific Research
- Cumulative Effects and Ecosystem Monitoring
- Clean up and monitoring of Waste Sites
There have been no requests for Plan Amendments to the Keewatin Regional Land Use Plan.